Hyperspectral Remote Sensing Workshop 2021: PRISMA Mission and beyond.
Online event, 13-14 April 2021.
The Italian Space Agency (ASI), with the support of Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR), Dipartimento di Protezione Civile, Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV), Istituto Superiore per la Protezione e Ricerca Ambientale (ISPRA), Leonardo Company, Ministry of Defense, Planetek Italia, Università Milano-Bicocca, invites the National and International Earth Observation community (Agencies, Science & Application and Industry sectors) to an exciting workshop based on invited talks and focused on the present and the future of Imaging Spectroscopy from Space.
Planetek Italia, as responsibile for the design and development of the geocoding sub-system under the Ground Space Segment within the PRISMA mission, and early adopter and developer of prototype applications of PRISMA hyperspectral data, has been invited to contribute with the following sessions:
- 13 April | Session 1 - PRISMA Mission and beyond (Characteristics, status and results). L2 products
- 14 April | Session 2 -Prototype applications and End Users Experience. PRISMA data exploitation in ERDAS Imagine software.
PRISMA Mission and beyond (Characteristics, status and results)
Hyperspectral technology improved significantly in the past two decades. Current sensors onboard spaceborne platforms cover large areas of the Earth's surface with unprecedented spectral, spatial, and temporal resolutions. These characteristics enable a wide range of potential applications requiring fine identification of materials and the retrieval of physical parameters. Since the start of its operations in 2019, the PRISMA mission is currently acquiring hyperspectral data worldwide, making them available to the user community and allowing the study, development and demonstration of such applications. To support and accelerate such developments, ASI has also dedicated plans related to the promotion of the use of hyperspectral data, with the full involvement of scientific, industrial, and application communities. The Workshop is aimed to present the ASI ongoing initiatives along with an overview of similar ones carried out by major international Space Agencies.
The objectives of this Hyperspectral Remote Sensing Workshop 2021 are therefore aimed to consolidate and promote the use of hyperspectral data in various scientific and application domains and to increase the visibility of operational and next-to-come satellite missions, starting from the ASI’s PRISMA, detailed as follows:
1. To present the characteristics and status of the PRISMA mission and its PRISMA-Second Generation follow-on, along with current and next-to-came hyperspectral spaceborne missions promoted and carried out by other major space agencies;
2. To discuss the capabilities and opportunities for the scientific and applicative utilization of hyperspectral data, starting from the results obtained to date in the exploitation of PRISMA data, to exchange experiences in the hyperspectral domain and to identify together priority actions to be undertaken.
The event also aims at creating a networking of opportunities among the various participants and stakeholders, laying the foundations for new research and collaboration in the field of Hyperspectral Earth Observation.
The presentations are by invitation only. The Workshop runs over two days, four hours per day (detailed time schedule will be defined at a later stage) and features a series of talks with a concluding “Questions and Answers” session. The preliminary Program for each day is outlined below, noting that the actual time will be defined in order to maximize participation.
Day 1 (4 hours)
- Welcome, introduction and Workshop objectives
- Overview of operational and next-to-come hyperspectral missions
o Characteristics, status and results of the PRISMA mission, including main performances, payload and products insights, data policy & licensing, mission management aspects, and PRISMA Advisory Working Group activities
o The PRISMA-SG follow-on mission
o Hyperspectral domain activities and current / next-to-came hyperspectral space missions realized by major space agencies
- Overview of hyperspectral user community requirements and processes for their collection and assessment (including R&D, end users, commercial companies)
Day 2 (4 hours)
- Presentation of most relevant results about hyperspectral data products calibration, validation, simulation, exploitation and user experiences. The presentations will report state-of-the-art, future challenges, and research directions using remote sensing hyperspectral data that can contribute to the consolidation of the role of the imaging spectroscopy missions in several fields, with a special focus on their status and the maturity to meet user requirements in application areas (identification of the associated Scientific Readiness Level where applicable). The session is organized around several topics and will be further detailed in the final program;
- Concluding round table / Q&A session for open discussion, exchange of experiences and identification of priority actions to be undertaken in the broad themes of PRISMA and other hyperspectral data exploitation and of opportunity/need for future satellite missions.
How to participate
Participation is free, upon registration in the required time. A link for connecting to the workshop will be sent to registered participants. Conference registration within March 29, 2021. For any information, please contact us at EOworkshop@asi.it
The Workshop is devoted to the scientific, application, users and industrial community and, in general, to everyone interested in hyperspectral remote sensing.